Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jamestown, dorm, Melting Moments, and lizard


So a long break between posts again! Sorry but a lot of days go by quickly without not much really happening outside of schoolwork and classes. Last Saturday I went with one student, Morgan one of my favorites here! :-) ) to see Avatar. Sadly, we made a mistake with the time and it wasn't showing. So we saw a Bollywood movie called My Name Is Khan instead. And I'm glad I saw it. I officially will never watch Avatar--I have tried to see it three times. Outside of Slumdog Millionaire (which I guess doesn't really count) I had never seen a Bollywood movie--it was epic, long, funny, sad, and had a message--Khan is not a terrorist! 

Most of my time outside of school has been used to research my Spring Break plans. And I am so excited about it. Spring break starts March 12th and ends March 21st. Around then you should definitely check the blog--I will have tons of pictures. I'm going to explore the Volta regions and the Volta Lake. The lake is the largest artificial lake in the world! I might post later this week a map of Ghana highlighting the route I will take so everyone can have a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Basically I will go around it and across it, taking 2 separate ferries, then travel south through the volta regions. The theme of the Volta region seems to be lake, waterfall, mountain, monkey sanctuary, forest, waterfall, mountain....The whole area sounds so beautiful and it's very close to Accra! I'm glad I will be staying in Ghana for vacation because I will get to see places at a slower pace than If i just had a weekend to explore. Then I will move to the coast east of Accra exploring the lagoons of Keta and Ada ( taking 2 more ferries!) Finally, during the last part of my trip I will explore the rest of the coast west of Accra revisiting the Cape Coast and going to Busia--which has the most beautiful beach in Ghana, plus Nzulezo to see the famous stilt village. (The whole village is in the water on stilts). All in all, it should be a really fun week.

I figured I should post some pictures too. These were all taken a few weeks back and are of Jamestown, views from my dorm, a restaurant I go to often, and a lizard. NYU took a short field trip to Jamestown, a neighborhood in Accra. There we met the king!











This is Melting Moments, the best place to eat nearby our dorm. It's a great place to have non-ghanaian food like french fries, sandwiches, or spaghetti. And we get 20% off so Spaghetti Bolognese--what I had for lunch today--costs like $3 here!  Oh, and just so you all know, I rarely eat Ghanaian food!)



And these are views from my dorm:



And lastly, a lizard (quick Fun Facts in Ghana: Part 3. #17. The most common animals I see on a daily basis are chickens, lizards, bullfrogs, dogs, cats, and bats!): 








2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Joe! I love them. It seems like so much fun there! I am really happy you’re having such a great experience :-)

    Be safe and most importantly, have fun!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blogging was a great idea Joe, I love it and look foward to it!!

    ReplyDelete