Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fun Facts in Ghana: Part Two

9. This is Big Milly's Backyard, an awesome place in Kokrobite that I stayed at this past weekend. The beach was great, the food was great, the live band was great, the kids on the beach who played with us and took a bunch of pictures (see below) were great.

10. Ghanaian fabric is very popular. There is kente cloth, woodin, and many others. I have bought three fabrics and so far Marjorine, the seamstress that most NYU students go to, has made me a pair of shorts and a vest. I'm not sure what to do with the last one--shirt, shorts again, or backpack. I'll post a picture of the fabric tomorrow, maybe some opinions will be useful!

11. The weather here is screwed up (global warming?)--it's suppose to be the hottest month of the year yet this past week had some of the coldest days since I've been here. Still, it's not like NY but 65 degrees is a lot colder than 95 degrees. Also, it's the dry season but there have been a couple thunderstorms.

12. At the mall--yes, there's a mall here and you can almost forget you're in Africa when you're in it--I bought a comic book biography about Barack Obama. It's actually awesome. I read the first two series, I need to go back so I can find out what happens next! (It leaves off with Obama in Jakarta).

13. Ghanaians LOVE obama. Some people here have called the United States the Obamanation.

14. Blackouts occur very often. The NYU facilities have back-up generators though but eating at restaurants in the dark (the NYU-affiliated ones) has been really interesting.

15. All cellphones have a flashlight. It's extremely useful and I have no idea why US phones have not adapted this. Except the The Iphone "flashlight" (which doesn't compare to these ACTUAL flashlights).

16. The kids here love cameras and taking pictures. It's really fun to do photo shoots with them. Those of you that have facebook have probably seen my pictures from Kokrobite (a nearby beach i went to this past weekend) that are mostly of little Ghanaians. I thought it would be funny to have these pictures up since most of my friends don't know about this blog and so haven't heard or seen any pictures from me, i.e. the first thing they see are these closeups of little children making funny faces. Here's some of the highlights:




























































You can see the yellow shorts i got made in one of the pictures. Here are some other pictures where you can see my vest, a Haiti Benefit concert, and another picture from the slave castle:







1 comment: